Cosmetic Products and Their Ingredients Laid Out
22 Feb

Waterless Beauty Products and Their Impact on Sustainability

As consumer awareness of the cosmetics industry's environmental impact grows, more businesses are introducing sustainable products, ingredients, and packaging to their practices. One strategy used by companies to lessen their influence on the environment is the development of waterless products, such as foundations and shampoo bars. According to Cosmetics Design Europe, most formulations contained up to 90% water until the push for better sustainability efforts. 

Due to the growing concern over water shortages, businesses pivoted their aim to utilize less water in their products and reduce their environmental impact. Cosmetics Design Europe reports that over 800 million people worldwide lack clean, safe water access. Waterless products benefit businesses because they can be self-preserving, require less packing, and have cheaper shipping and distribution expenses.

Similarly, as other innovations are being made, the skincare industry will be the next frontier for waterless products and innovative refillable packaging. As waterless modifications gain traction in the cosmetics industry, color cosmetics like blush and eyeshadow will increasingly be produced with reduced water content. Let’s take a look at the benefits of new waterless products.

Benefits of Waterless Beauty Products

1. Conserves Natural Water Resources

Water usage stresses natural water sources and is one of the biggest environmental impacts. The demand for water to manufacture personal care products has led to the overexploitation of rivers and groundwater reservoirs in several regions, resulting in water scarcity. Utilizing waterless products works to lessen this burden and preserve this limited resource.

2. Reduces Product Carbon Footprint

Decreased water use also reduces a product's carbon footprint. Water treatment and distribution demand a lot of energy, which increases greenhouse gas emissions and climate change. Manufacturing and shipping waterless products require less water, lowering their carbon footprint.

3. Limits Packaging Waste

Reduced packaging of waterless items is an additional advantage. Traditional personal care products have a high water content, necessitating more oversized packaging to hold the liquid. Waterless products often result in smaller, more manageable packaging, lowering the waste produced during shipping and packaging.

4. Increases Use of Active Ingredients

Not only do products with little to no water help our environment, but they also offer customers better, more potent products. According to The Good Face Project, “Most skin and body products consist of up to 95 percent water, leaving just 5 percent for active ingredients. Formulating products without water means that brands may be able to give more space to active ingredients.”

Active ingredients are more effective and better for consumers' skin, making the products more attractive to purchase.

The popularity of waterless items is expected to increase as people become more conscious of how their purchases affect the environment. Businesses embracing going green and providing environmentally friendly alternatives will help protect our planet's resources and appeal to a rising market of consumers concerned about sustainability.

Golden Arrow is committed to developing sustainable packaging for quality and care using cutting-edge materials to provide packaging that has won awards and is environmentally friendly. Would you like to know more about environmentally friendly packaging? Speak to an expert today!